A hitchhiker’s guide to hybrid, multi cloud and edge
The story so far…
“In the beginning, The Cloud was created. This made lot of people very happy and was regarded as a very good move”
“You know“, said Arthur, “it’s at times like this, when I am trapped in a Cloud Vendorlock, and about to drown in monthly costs of application delivery that I wish I could move my workloads elsewhere“
Ford said, “try distributing”
“Ford!” he said, “there are an infinite number of companies and open source projects out there who want to talk to us about this solution for hybrid and multi cloud they’ve worked out“
Ford said, “Don’t panic”…
Harmonizing hybrid, multi cloud and edge
I have published a series of articles that outline the key problems customers face with their distributed application infrastructure. (Multi cloud has become a hot topic now with VMware’s announcements at VMWorld 2021 this week).
- The case for hybrid, multi cloud and edge – this outlines the rationale for enterprises to adopt hybrid, multi cloud and edge and thoughts on application portability in such distributed scenarios
- The complexity of distributed application management – this outlines the complexities involved in managing distributed applications, implications on application portability
- Application infrastructure for multi cloud and edge computing – this outlines how should one think about application architectures for hybrid, multi cloud and edge
In the current digital economy, a software application often becomes the key customer touch point. So in effect, for every business (FinTech, Retail, Healthcare, Telecom or any other), software application delivery becomes key to their success.
Managing application infrastructure, while not the company’s forte or core business, becomes a necessity and critical for success.
So businesses now often staff up operations teams to manage their application infrastructure. For many, it becomes a trial and error to figure out an optimal solution and they end up doing complex integrations. In the process, the businesses spend significant time, effort and money on application infrastructure management.
fledge.io has been formed with the vision to solve these complex problems and provide turnkey solution to customers for such a distributed application infrastructure management.
With fledge.io, you can create your own private cloud for your applications that span across any cloud, datacenter and edge environments.
This is how fledge.io solves the problem.
1. Connectivity and security fabric across clouds, datacenters and edges – fledge.io creates a secure service mesh (Per App SDWAN) across clouds, datacenters and edges in a way that is transparent to the applications. This enables abstracting the provider and location for the running applications, enabling them to run in a geo-distributed environment as though the application is running on a single provider or location
- Connects kubernetes and non-kubernetes (standalone container environments) as part of same application
- Reduces complexity significantly – no need to worry about complex security authentications among microservices
- Encrypts all traffic on the wire by default – no need for VPN provisioning across locations
- Provides Zero trust, policy based security end-to-end – consistently across any cloud, datacenter, edge environments built on eBPF
Essentially, it is a high performance (no sidecars), no complexity, and highly secure connectivity for geo-distributed applications.
2. Data fabric across environments – fledge.io provides a built-in infrastructure for data exchange among microservices across cloud, datacenter and edge. The data fabric is created completely transparent to the applications and the applications can leverage it as a service wherever it is running.
- Kafka based pub-sub infrastructure for event based data
- Blockchain based file sharing for config and data file sharing (enables stateful deployment and migrations of applications)
- Plug and Play telemetry with auto dashboard generations
- eBPF based realtime observability for applications deployed on any cloud, datacenter or edge
Customers can choose to use any or all or none of the built-in services and use their own preferred tools. Our goal is to make your life easy while providing full flexibility.
3. Application orchestration and management – fledge.io orchestrator makes it simple to define and deploy applications that span across providers and locations, kubernetes and non kubernetes environments. With connectivity, security and data fabric abstracting underlying provider or location, applications can be deployed anywhere and statefully migrated anytime.
Imagine doing all this with multiple yaml files, managing multiple keys for authentication and security, integrating multiple tools, technologies and services, dealing with quirks of different providers whose service capabilities and interfaces could be very different. Imagine if you have to do this on a repeatable and scalable basis.
And now imagine the same situation using a turnkey solution fledge.io offers. Does it sound too good to be true? Well, as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating…see the demo for yourself.
Our goal here is to reduce complexity, save time, effort and costs for customers without lock-in. So you are always in control of your own destiny. fledge.io does the heavy lifting while you can focus more on your core business.
Customers today don’t think twice to use a cloud – they know what to expect and know they can get their applications up and running quickly. However, it is not the same if they want to leverage hybrid environments. It is the fear of the unknown that prevents many customers to embrace hybrid, multi cloud and edge. But the evolving applications now demand such distributed environments, whether one is trying to optimize for cost, latency, security, compliance or any other reason.
fledge.io has been built with the vision to enable dev and ops to look at such hybrid and multi cloud environments just the same way they would treat a single cloud provider. Essentially we are enabling customers to weave their own private cloud across different providers and locations.
So bring your own cloud, datacenter, edge and build your private, secure multi-cloud-edge.
Our customer value is simple
- Reduce time and effort in managing your application infrastructure both for Day 0 as well as on-going basis – fledge.io will help your DevOps teams be more efficient
- Reduce costs by making your application vendor agnostic – pick best of breed providers that meet your needs
- Leverage most optimal locations for best application experience for your customers – whether you are optimizing for cost, latency, security, compliance
Reach out to us at email@example.com to learn more.
Founder and CEO